Guidelines for Ultrasound Examinations
Abdominal imaging includes examinations of the:
Please refrain from eating or drinking starting at midnight the night before the examination until after the examination is completed. A few sips of water and prescription medication are permitted.
Please have nothing by mouth for 4 hours prior to this examination.
Non-carbonated and non-caffeinated beverages are acceptable.
KIDNEY, BLADDER, PELVIS or OBSTETRIC Examinations
Studies of the kidneys, urinary bladder and pelvis require a distended, urine-filled bladder.
It is essential that you:
– Empty your bladder, 1½ hours prior to the appointment time.
– At ONE hour before the appointment, DRINK 1 litre of non-carbonated fluid, preferably water.
– Avoid carbonated beverages (these have gas bubbles that remain in the bowel which can interrupt the sound waves that are necessary to make the ultrasound picture).
– Finish drinking the fluid prior to reporting for the appointment.
– PLEASE, DO NOT urinate prior to the examination. We need your bladder full for the examination.
– Take your regular medications.
MISCELLANEOUS or MUSCULOSKELETAL Examination Preparations
Patients scheduled for an ultrasound examination of the breasts, testicles, veins of the leg or arm, neck, thyroid gland, parathyroid glands, abscesses, foreign bodies or musculoskeletal system only are examinations that do not require special preparation.